Saturday, March 12, 2011

Random thought on "modesty"

If you are looking for me to tell you what constitutes “modest”, I’m afraid you are out of luck.  One definition I saw said, “conforming to the recognized standard of good taste.”  The problem with “recognized standards” is that it means different things in different places.  Modesty in Wisconsin is very different from modesty in Brazil, which is very different from modesty in Saudi Arabia.  Some people worry about defining the limits way too much.  (I can’t tell you what a huge weight was lifted from my soul when I was living in Brazil and realized that NOTHING I would wear willingly would be considered “immodest” there.)  There are other people who I think could stand to think about it a little more.  But I’m not talking about that.

I’m also not talking about modesty from the perspective of “caring for our Christian brothers”.  I understand the argument, but I also know that we all have temptations.  Part of growing up and maturing is learning to recognize those moments of temptation and, if necessary, averting your eyes.

And don’t get me started on those churches that publicly announce that you need to be modest to come to their church.  Where in the Bible does it say that you must have your act together before you can seek God?  If churches are filled with sinners saved by grace, can’t we show a little grace to other sinners? 

But I’m not talking about that either.

What I am talking about is motivation, a topic that came to mind as I was reading a book on insecurity.  (It was pretty good.  Don’t ask me for more than that, because I had to set it down for several months in the middle while I dealt with other stuff.)  While reading, I got to thinking about how it could change our attitude towards immodesty – particularly of the eye-popping, might-as-well-be-naked variety – if we considered the motivations for wearing such an outfit.

I thought of a couple possible motivations.  (And please remember that I’m thinking of the eye-popping type of immodesty, not the little lines that people so often quibble over, such as straps on dresses.) 

1) Pride: They are incredibly proud of their body (whether by nature, nurture or plastic) and they want everybody to know it. 

2) Cluelessness: They don’t realize that this and/or that is showing.  (Most of us have been there at one point or another.)

3) Misfortune: They only own one sweater, it shrunk in the wash, and they don’t have the money to buy a new one.  (It happens.) 

4) Insecurity: Many possible underlying reasons here, one of which could be that they think their value lies in whether or not they are sexually alluring.  I suppose somebody could counter that they wear it because it makes them look good.  But usually I find that “good” in these instances is more accurately defined as “hot”.  Which then raises the question of why they feel a need for everybody to think they’re “hot”.

So my thought was that, in this controversial realm of “modesty”, maybe we would be more godly in our attitudes and actions if we sought to address the underlying motivations rather than the symptom.

2 comments:

  1. Can we ask the name of the book (on insecurity, that is)?

    Speaking of books, I really liked the book "A Return to Modesty", which doesn't really answer your possible reasons for immodesty, but it is fascinating and talks about modesty, in general, being a natural and a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Beth Moore's book "So Long Insecurity". It's not about modesty, but she spends quite a bit of time referring to all of the images that we are bombarded with every day. Which got me thinking about the people/celebs we see in those pictures. Which brought me around to all of the discussion on modesty.

    ReplyDelete