Monday, March 7, 2011

And so it begins...

And so begins my entry into the 21st century and the world of blogging!  I have a couple plans for how I will use this space.  One stems from my past in Brazil and my future in Tokyo.  When I lived in Brazil, I wrote monthly email updates that I sent out to a group of friends who expressed an interest in receiving them.  The updates were fun to write, useful in helping me process being an expat in Brazil, and apparently interesting to receive by those who cared to hear about my crazy life and observations.  The down side was that the email list required a certain amount of maintenance on my part to ensure that I wasn’t spamming people.  But if I wrote a blog, I could continue to write my updates without fear of spamming.  People either read it, or they don’t.  They either subscribe to get the latest update, or they unsubscribe.  Win/win!  I could add in some pictures.  Win/win/win!  So plan #1 is to update people on my life during the three years I’ll spend in Tokyo (summer 2012 to summer 2015).  In addition, it is likely that there will be some documentation of my struggles to learn Japanese over the coming year.

Plan #2 revolves around the fact that I sometimes have thoughts rolling around in my head.  Deep thoughts.  Oh so deep!  It seems like it would help me process these thoughts if I write them down and put them into a coherent format.  So I thought that I could add them to my blog in the event that maybe others will find them helpful too.  Although I imagine I will also put down any number of totally shallow thoughts just for the fun of it.

I don’t really know when this fount of creativity will begin, but at least I have the blog site set up now!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the name of your blog! It will be exciting to keep up with your adventures and thought processes here. I would love to visit you sometime while you are in Japan, as I went on an exchange to Japan when I was 14. It was only for 3 weeks, but I really enjoyed it and would like to visit again. Not making any promises, but it would be fun!

    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for the blogspot. Especially the "Deep Thoughts in Clay Pots" that will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just like the rhyme for "Deep Thoughts in Clay Pots". Fun.

    In other news, I've been toying with starting a blog - and picked almost the exact same layout! (Background pick, etc.) I may need to do some revamping. :)

    Hope the blogging adventure is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice start to your next interesting adventure! Looking forward to hearing those thoughts too, both the deep ones and the lighter side of life!

    ReplyDelete