Sunday, October 28, 2012

Eating and drinking in Tokyo


I’ve already talked about how amazing the food is here in Tokyo.  About 10 minutes walk from the compound, I can find the best pho I’ve ever had.  A short subway ride away, you can find the best cream puffs EVER and an excellent bakery – and I now have point cards for both stores (danger!). 

A few weeks ago, I went to my first sushi restaurant, where I had my first wasabi experience.  They put the wasabi on for you – possibly because they don’t trust you to do it properly – and I was rather surprised by the sudden clearing of my sinuses.  It kind of reminded me of when I drank that ginger drink that a friend from Cote d’Ivoire made once in Brazil.  Not a bad taste, but very surprising when you are not expecting it!

I went to a lovely afternoon tea on the the 45th floor of the Ritz Carlton recently with a few friends, and I am very much looking forward to trying the other excellent afternoon teas that I hear can be found around Tokyo. 

But tea isn’t the only thing you can drink in Japan…


I don’t know what a Pocari is or why I would want to drink its sweat, but it’s pretty tasty.


Calpis.  A favorite name among 10-year old boys – or, based on a survey of the office, among grown men also.  Tastes a lot better than you might expect.


Yes, that is a snake in a sake bottle.  You will never see me so much as touch this bottle.  I will certainly never drink any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment