Saturday, November 12, 2011

Japanese technology

Japan is famous for its technology, but there are 3 things that I am particularly looking forward to trying out.


Toilets - Apparently, Japanese toilets are amazing! You can choose the temperature of the seat, and sometimes you can choose sounds to use as white noise. If you want to be really clean, you can choose the temperature of the water and the temperature of the air that dries you off. All of this to create the most pleasant bathroom experience imaginable.


Vending Machines - More specifically, the vending machines for alcohol. Apparently, the machine scans your head and determines whether or not you are old enough to purchase alcohol. But I am betting the design is based on Japanese characteristics. Japanese typically have fairly large heads. My head is tiny. I can't wait to see if I'm "old enough" to buy alcohol from a Japanese vending machine!


GPS - I hear that you can choose not just what language, but also what accent. Australian English, British English, Southern US English... My Japanese instructor had hers set to Japanese but had to switch it to English because the Japanese was too vague. I imagine it's afraid of offending the driver. So if it's that accurate, then does the Southern US English say "Bless your heart!" when you fail to make a turn? Do they have Brooklyn English ("Do I have "Information" on my forehead?!?!")? How about Seattle English (gives directions to the closest latte)? Is the British English very proper? Or is it cockney? I'll need to try them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment